Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Middle Finger


Where are we as a society with the hand gesture,’ the middle finger’?  Collectively we need to determine the proper use and frequency that is acceptable for ‘the bird’.  This all started today when a fellow motorist was trying to make a right hand turn out of the middle lane instead of the right lane like a normal human being.  The pedestrians in the street caused him to come to a complete stop in the middle of the intersection.  I honked and tried to drive around him, he gave me the bird.  Not cool. 
I have been flicked off, given the bird, flipped the middle finger, and once the middle finger salute.  While in the car and several times in person, once over the phone and twice via text message.  Sometimes with a smile, many times with a F you, but never with a side of a cheeseburger (read my blog and you will understand how hysterical and poignant this joke is).  My problem is sometimes the finger is a ‘hello I hear you’ and sometimes it is an ‘I am going to hunt you down in the woods like a wild pig and serve you to my family this holiday’.  There has to be a scale at which we can properly measure the intent or intensity of said finger. 
 
For me, the finger is my old school salute to a poor soul that would never appreciate a witty tongue lashing.  I mean have you ever shot a 65 year old man the bird?  They go nuts!  You have to give it a shot.  Next time you get cut off by a Buick drive up next to the guy and smile and give him the old school finger (don’t get fancy with the thumb out to the side) just the single finger, smile and stare.  Then get the hell out of their cause dude is about to blow his lid for having been in a shitty marriage for 30 years, never blowing Nam off the map and Connecticut letting to dudes get married.    

Holy Cow, there is a blog dedicated just to the finger....http://flipthatbird.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment