Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Channeling...stupidity


So I was visiting my parents over the holidays and a week before I came down my dad told me that he had purchased a new TV and new cable service.  I knew this was his way of warming me up to the idea of helping him set up all the speakers, DVD player, etc.  A long tradition in the Miller household that I really enjoy for some reason.  The kicker was the new cable, and the comments about how hard it will be to learn all the new channels.  Little did I know what was in store for me.

Soon after setting up the system my dad started popping through the channels to see how good the HD signal looked, but no comments about learning new channels.  He quickly bounced back and forth, regular ESPN/ HD ESPN…wow.  Regular HGTV/ HD HGTV…WOW!  Regular animal plant/ HD animal planet…Holy Crap call the police this is so awesome I might kill someone.  But no comment about learning new channels.
Finally I said, ‘Dad I am surprised you learned all the channels so quick’. 
‘Well it is really easy, just add 500 to any channel and that is the HD version’.
‘Holy shit!  You have to be joking?’
‘No, isn’t that how yours is?’
‘Oh hell no, I have Comcast.  ESPN is 029/ HD is 173.  ESPN 2 is 030/ HD is 203.  This goes on and on, there is no rhyme or reason.  It is like they threw darts at the wall to pick channel numbers.’
‘That sounds dumb.’
‘yup’.

No comments:

Post a Comment